EASY BUDDHA BOWL
By Clea Grady of Veganuary
The great thing about bowls is that they're healthy, filling, easy to make, and every one tastes different so you don't get bored. They're also a great 'catch all' if you've had a bad food day or are training for a marathon, as you can pack them with good carbs, greens, beans and all sorts of good stuff.
- Cooked rice/quinoa
- Sweet potato
- Black beans
- Olive and sesame oil
- Spices! Smoked paprika, turmeric, salt, pepper, etc.
- The juice of one lemon
- Soy and hot sauce
- Cut up your sweet potato into small chunks and coat with a little olive oil, smoked paprika, turmeric, salt and pepper. Roast for about 30 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of rice to cold water, bring to boil, turn down and simmer for 30 minutes. If you want to add extra protein then use quinoa instead of rice.
- That’s the most complicated part of the cooking done!
- Prepare your veggies.
- Crush and dice the garlic.
- Chop up the broccoli into florets.
- Grate your carrot.
- Wash the kale and beans.
- When it looks like the rice and sweet potato are about 10 minutes short of being ready, start cooking the veggies.
- Put the broccoli in a pan with cold water and on a medium high heat with the lid on. For crunchier broccoli, cook until the water is just boiling and then tip out into a colander.
- Add the garlic to a heavy bottom pan with a little oil (only a touch) and get it sizzling. After about 1 minute add the kale.
- Once the kale is slightly wilted, add the carrot and then the beans. Mix up well.
- Squeeze over the juice of one lemon and add a dash of sesame oil and the soy sauce. Mix well.
- Once the beans are warmed through you’re ready to serve. Your broccoli should be bubbling by now too, or thereabouts.
- Take out the sweet potato from the oven and get the hummus out of the fridge.
- Add a good serving spoon of rice per bowl, and then dish the veg around it. Finish with a big dollop of hummus on the top!
- Season with pepper and hot sauce, and take the hummus and soy with you to the table in case you want to add extra flavor.