NOT SO BASIC OATMEAL
By Elise Museles of Kale and Chocolate
Adding fruit, spices & flavorings to the cooking process takes plain old oatmeal to the next level. Not only does it taste delicious, it also eliminates the need for any additional sweeteners. Add in a spoon of nut butter or top with nuts & seeds for a nutritionally balanced and satisfying breakfast. Mix & match all week, and your oatmeal will never be boring again!
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 cups water (or 1 cup water + 1 cup plant-based milk)
- 1 cut up fresh fruit (1 banana, 1 apple, 1 pear, or 1 peach) or 1 cup berries
- ¼ teaspoon of sea salt
- Flavor options: ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, lemon zest or any other flavorings & spices
- Nutrition boosts: nut butter, chopped nuts, seeds, sliced fruit, raw cacao, goji berries
- Cook the oatmeal and water on the stovetop according to directions.
- In the last 3 minutes, add in fruit & flavorings.
- Once cooked, the fruit should be soft. Mix into the oats to form a semi-smooth consistency.
- Sprinkle with additional spices of choice and top with a plant-based protein.
- Try flax, hemp or chia seeds, a spoon of almond butter or any combination of nuts.
- Top with your choice of nutritional boosts.
Makes 2 Servings