ROAST BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND SPINACH SALAD
By Clea Grady of Veganuary
Perhaps the best salad of all time. Good enough to eat by the bucketload on its own, with bread, or perfect as one of the sides at a dinner party.
- 1 butternut squash
- Smoked paprika
- 1 bag of spinach
- Cherry tomatoes
- Kalamata olives
- 1 red pepper
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Salt and cracked pepper
- Cut butternut squash into chunks and pour into a roasting tin
- Add a small glug of olive oil, smoked paprika, and a little salt and cracked pepper. Mix well.
- Put into the oven at 425F for about 30 minutes (cook until soft and slightly caramelised).
- Wash and cut your veggies (no need to cut up the spinach unless you have really large leaves) and add to the bowl.
- Into a frying pan, pour out some sunflowers seeds.
- Dry fry the seeds on a medium heat until they are turning golden on both sides, stir a lot with a wooden or heat resistant spoon. Take care not to let them burn. Set aside to cool.
- When the squash is ready, remove from oven and allow to cool for a minute or so, before spooning on top of the salad mix.
- Then add the toasted seeds.
- Shake some olive oil over the top, about the same and a half of balsamic vinegar and some cracked pepper.
- Mix slightly, but make sure the squash and seeds are still visible on the top.