SWEET POTATO AND KALE BREAKFAST HASH
By Elise Museles of Kale and Chocolate
If you like savory morning meals but crave just a little sweetness, then you will love this combination of kale and sweet potatoes with green apple thrown into the mix. Filled with antioxidants, fiber and good carbs, this powerhouse breakfast will keep you energized all morning long.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium-large sweet potato, peeled and cut into ¼ -inch cubes
- 1 small granny smith apple, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- ½ small red onion, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 bunch dinosaur kale, stalks removed and sliced into thin ribbons
- 1-2 teaspoons olive oil
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon of fresh rosemary, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- Hemp or pumpkin seeds for a protein-rich topping
- Place the coconut oil in a skillet and melt over medium heat.
- Add the sweet potato and onion in pan, and sauté until softened, approximately 10-12 minutes.
- Next, add the apple, garlic, and red pepper flakes and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Toss in kale and olive oil to the mix and sauté for 3 minutes until kale is gently wilted.
- Season with salt to taste.
- For added flavor, sprinkle with rosemary before removing from the pan.