RAINBOW KALE SALAD
By Elise Museles of Kale and Chocolate
Lacinato kale, also known as dinosaur kale, isn’t as tough as curly kale and works perfectly in raw salads like this one. The colorful salad not only tastes good, but it is also filled with phytonutrients and hosts an array of health benefits. This recipe will easily double for a big group or potluck.
- 1 bunch Lacinato (a.k.a. dinosaur) kale, thick stems removed and leaves thinly sliced
- 4 cups shredded red cabbage (about 1 small head, quartered and cored)
- 2 navel oranges or clementines, peeled and segmented
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the kale, cabbage, orange segments, onion, bell pepper and sunflower seeds.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mustard, lemon juice, olive oil, and maple syrup.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour over the kale mixture and toss to coat.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for up two days.
Makes 4 Servings