HEALTHY CHOCOLATE ORANGE TRUFFLES
By Elise Museles of Kale and Chocolate
Aside from being delicious bite-sized treats, these easy no-bake truffles are filled with nourishing ingredients that you don’t get in most commercial varieties. Be prepared to get a little messy before enjoying every morsel of this guilt-free snack or dessert.
- 1 cup cashews or almonds
- ¾ cup packed Medjool dates, pitted
- ¼ cup raw cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Raw cacao, cocoa powder, or shredded coconut for dusting
- Place cashews/almonds in a food processor and blend until finely ground but not a paste.
- Add in the dates, cocoa powder, sea salt and vanilla.
- Once the mixture is smooth, pulse in the orange zest and process until everything is incorporated together.
- Next, with slightly wet hands, roll into 1-inch balls. If the mixture is too sticky to handle, place in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes until firm enough to roll.
- Lightly cover each truffle with cocoa powder or shredded coconut.
- Place in refrigerator for at least one hour before serving.
- Store any remaining truffles in an airtight glass container up to 3 days in the refrigerator or freeze to have on hand always. Yum!